Frequently Asked Questions

I am a meter installer individual and would like a copy of my Competency Certificate.  

MOCOPA® does not provide competency certificates to individuals.  Your employer is responsible for training you and assessing your competency to install/work on metering equipment, as part of their obligations under MOCOPA®. It is therefore your current employer that will issue, or has issued, you with a Competency Certificate. A “MOCOPA® Certificate” does not exist.

I am an individual operative and I would like to be trained in MOCOPA®. 

The MOCOPA® is not a training accreditation, it is a Code of Practice for companies that undertake work on metering equipment. You cannot be ‘trained in MOCOPA®’. Each MOCOPA® Operator is responsible for the training and assessment of their own operatives. If you would like to become a meter installer, please contact existing MOCOPA® Operator Parties to find out about current vacancies for trainee installers.

Why do I need separate authorisation to work in the ScottishPower and Northern Powergrid network areas?  

As part of their company policies and to meet industry regulations, ScottishPower and Northern Powergrid currently require meter operatives working in their network areas to be authorised individually. They should be contacted directly for further details.

I would like to obtain MOCOPA® accreditation for my company.  

Please visit the Become a MOCOPA® Party page of our website and read the guidance. If you have further questions you can contact the Registration Authority to find out more about the requirements and processes involved in becoming a MOCOPA® Operator.

I am a local authority/electrical contractor/housing association that wants to become a MOCOPA® Party. 

It is not practicable for local authorities, housing associations or electricians to become MOCOPA® accredited. Applicants to MOCOPA® need to have a fully-fledged metering operation set up to be able to satisfy the technical and safety requirements of the Agreement and need to be either a BSC (Balancing and Settlement Code) qualified Meter Operator Agent or work under the instruction of a BSC qualified Meter Operator Agent.

MOCOPA® Operators are only allowed to withdraw cut-out fuses when they are working at meters for which they are the appointed meter operator, and where they have been given authority to do so by the Distribution Business. Accession to MOCOPA® alone therefore, does not provide general authorisation to withdraw cut-out fuses from any meter position.

I only want to install one certain type of meter. Do I need to become MOCOPA® accredited?  

Yes, in order to install any electricity meter a company needs to be MOCOPA® accredited.

Who are ELEXON, what is the Balancing Settlement Code (BSC) and why are they relevant for MOCOPA® Operators?  

The BSC sets out the rules for balancing and settlement arrangements of electricity in Great Britain. A high-level explanation of the BSC arrangements can be found here. ELEXON is the company responsible for administration of the BSC. To become a MOCOPA® Operator you must already be either a BSC Qualified Meter Operator Agent or work under the instruction of one or of a current MOCOPA® Party.

Further information on the BSC qualification and market entry processes can be found here.

I am an electrician/electrical contractor; can I work on the metering equipment? 

You can work on the Customer’s equipment only. Only MOCOPA® Parties can work on the Distribution Business and Supplier equipment. Supplier and Distribution equipment is sealed with an identifiable seal – these must not be removed. Removal of the seal is unlawful tampering and will be reported as such.

I am a Developer/Building Network Operator (BNO) and require clarity on what policy we should adopt when installing meters in new build sites. 

There are multiple regulations that you will need to be aware of when designing and installing the electricity supply and metering. We recommend you involve the Distribution Business and Meter Operator (directly or via your Supplier) as early as possible to ensure all requirements are followed. Further information can be obtained from the Energy Networks Association and the Association of Meter Operators.

I am a local authority/electrical contractor/housing association that wants to install isolator switches only.  

To install isolator switches it is necessary to be a Party to the MOCOPA®. MOCOPA® Operators are required to fully satisfy the technical and safety requirements of the Agreement.  Installing isolators should be arranged via your electricity Supplier (or Meter Operator, if you have a direct contract).