Frequently Asked Questions

I am a local authority/electrical contractor/housing association that wants to install isolator switches only. 

To install isolator switches it is necessary to be a Party to the MOCOPA. MOCOPA Operators are required to fully satisfy the technical and safety requirements of the Agreement.  Installing isolators should be arranged via your electricity Supplier (or Meter Operator, if you have a direct contract).

I am an individual meter installer/operative and would like a copy of my Competency Certificate.  

MOCOPA does not provide competency certificates to individuals.  The Meter Operator company you work/worked for is responsible for assessing the competency of individual installers and will issue competency certificates.

I am an individual meter installer/operative and I would like to be trained in MOCOPA. 

The MOCOPA Registration Authority does not provide training courses.

Each Meter Operator company certified by MOCOPA is responsible for the training and assessment of it’s own operatives. If you would like to become a meter installer, please contact MOCOPA Operator parties (Signatories tab on the website) to find out about current vacancies for trainee installers.

Why do I need separate authorisation to work in the ScottishPower and Northern Powergrid network areas?  

Each network company sets it’s own company policies and to meet industry regulations ScottishPower and Northern Powergrid currently require meter operatives working in their network areas to be authorised directly by them.

I would like to obtain MOCOPA accreditation for my company.  

Please visit the Become a MOCOPA Operator page of the website or contact the Registration Authority at  or 0207 191 1753 to find out more about the requirements and processes involved in becoming a MOCOPA Operator.

I am a local authority/electrical contractor/housing association that wants to become a MOCOPA Party. 

It is not practicable for local authorities, housing associations or electricians to become MOCOPA accredited. Applicants to MOCOPA need to have a fully-fledged metering operation set up to be able to satisfy the technical and safety requirements of the agreement, and need to be either a BSC (Balancing and Settlement Code) qualified Meter Operator Agent or work under the instruction of a BSC qualified Meter Operator Agent.

To arrange for work to be done on a meter please contact your electricity supplier. If you have a  direct contract for Meter Operator services you should contact the contracted company.

I only want to install smart meters or only install legacy meters; do I need to become MOCOPA accredited? 

Yes, in order to install any meters, Meter Operator companies need to be MOCOPA accredited. MOCOPA is an accreditation that covers all types of electricity meters.

Who are ELEXON, what is the BSC and why are they relevant for meter operators?  

The Balancing and Settlement Code (BSC) sets out the rules for balancing and settlement arrangements of electricity in Great Britain. A high-level explanation of the BSC arrangements can be found here. ELEXON is the company responsible for administration of the BSC. Metering is an important part of the balancing and settlement processes and ELEXON in their role as the administrator of the BSC ensure that any organisations entering the market develop their systems and processes to the standards required by the Code. Further information on the BSC qualification and market entry processes can be found here. To become a MOCOPA Operator you must either be a BSC Qualified Meter Operator Agent or work under the instruction of BSC Qualified Meter Operator Agent.

I am an electrician/electrical contractor; can I work on the metering equipment? 

You can work on the Customer’s equipment only. Only MOCOPA Parties can work on the Distribution Business and Supplier equipment.

I am a Developer/Building Network Operator (BNO) and require clarity on what policy we should adopt when installing meters in new build sites. 

There are multiple regulations that you will need to be aware of when designing and installing the electricity supply and metering. We recommend you involve the Distribution Business and Meter Operator (directly or via your Supplier) as early as possible to ensure all requirements are followed. Further information can be obtained from the Energy Networks Association (ENA) and the Association of Meter Operators.